Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Wild asparagus - Quick and easy recipe

Today I got the first wild asparagus at the weekly food market. I buy most of my vegetables at two stalls, which sell the most authentic Mediterranean vegetables.

Some traditional farmers still go to pick wild asparagus, and I am very grateful to them as not many people want to do it now.

Wild asparagus are delicious, really. I'd like to gather them myself, but right now I am very busy building my Mediterranean food web site.

Wild asparagus are easy to prepare. Chop them into one inch pieces, discard the hard end, and steam them for 7 to 10 minutes depending on their thickness. Don't add salt so that they keep the natural flavor of the forest.

Serve them warm. Every guest can add a dash of extra virgin olive oil to the steamed asparagus, but this is optional.

Steamed wild asparagus is a great quick and easy recipe. You can combine them with other vegetables, or serve them as a side dish with meat, -like the traditional Catalan fricassee I cooked today- or fresh Mediterranean sardines.

Wild asparagus recipes are a good example of the Catalan landscape cuisine.

If you can't get wild asparagus, steam another variety. In this case you'll need to add salt to taste.

© Mediterranean-Food-Recipes.com - All Rights Reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home